IDAHO BENEFIT CORPORATION ACT
30-2008. benefit director. (1) The board of directors of a benefit corporation that is a publicly traded corporation shall, and the board of any other benefit corporation may, include a director who shall be designated the benefit director, and shall have, in addition to the powers, duties, rights and immunities of the other directors of the benefit corporation, the powers, duties, rights and immunities provided in this chapter.
(2) The benefit director shall be elected and may be removed in the manner provided in sections 30-29-803 through 30-29-809, Idaho Code. Except as provided in subsection (6) of this section, the benefit director shall be an individual who is independent. The benefit director may serve as the benefit officer at the same time as serving as the benefit director. The articles of incorporation or bylaws of a benefit corporation may prescribe additional qualifications of the benefit director not inconsistent with this subsection.
(3) The benefit director shall prepare and the benefit corporation shall include in the annual benefit report to shareholders required by section 30-2012, Idaho Code, the opinion of the benefit director on the following:
(a) Whether the benefit corporation acted in accordance with its general public benefit purpose and any specific public benefit purpose in all material respects during the period covered by the report;
(b) Whether the directors and officers complied with sections 30-2007 and 30-2009, Idaho Code, respectively; and
(c) If, in the opinion of the benefit director, the benefit corporation or its directors or officers failed to act or comply in the manner described in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection, a description of the ways in which the benefit corporation or its directors or officers failed to act or comply.
(4) The act or inaction of an individual in the capacity of a benefit director shall constitute for all purposes an act or inaction of that individual in the capacity of a director of the benefit corporation.
(5) Regardless of whether the articles of incorporation or bylaws of a benefit corporation include a provision eliminating or limiting the personal liability of directors authorized by section 30-29-202, Idaho Code, a benefit director shall not be personally liable for an act or omission in the capacity of a benefit director unless the act or omission constitutes self-dealing, willful misconduct or a knowing violation of law.
(6) The benefit director of a professional corporation organized under chapter 13, title 30, Idaho Code, does not need to be independent.
[30-2008, added 2015, ch. 217, sec. 1, p. 677; am. 2016, ch. 47, sec. 11, p. 108.]