COUNTIES AND COUNTY LAW
FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
31-1410. Election of commissioners — resident qualifications of commissioners — revising subdistricts — term of office. (1) On the first Tuesday following the first Monday of November, of the next odd-numbered year, following the organization of a fire protection district, three (3) fire protection district commissioners shall be elected. Not more than one (1) commissioner shall be a resident of the same fire protection commissioner subdistrict. Every odd-numbered year thereafter, an election shall be held for the election of fire protection district commissioners as described in this section. For commissioners whose term in office expires in any even-numbered year, such commissioners shall remain in office until the next election in an odd-numbered year. The county clerk shall have power to make such regulations for the conduct of such election as are consistent with the statutory provisions of chapter 14, title 34, Idaho Code.
(2) The board of fire protection district commissioners may revise subdistricts when they deem it necessary due to significant shifts in population. The board of fire protection district commissioners shall revise subdistricts upon any annexation of territory into the district in accordance with sections 31-1410A, 31-1410B and 31-1412(6), Idaho Code, and, in any case, within six (6) months following the end of each decennial United States census reporting year so as to equalize the population, area and mileage between the subdistricts as nearly as practicable. Provided however, of the commissioners comprising the board, not more than one (1) commissioner shall be a resident of the same fire protection commissioners subdistrict. The revision of subdistricts shall not disqualify any elected commissioner from the completion of the term for which he or she has been duly elected. Notice of revised fire protection commissioner subdistricts shall be provided to the county clerk of the county or counties in which the changes occur by means of a resolution that includes a map depicting the revised subdistrict boundaries.
(3) At the first election following organization of a fire protection district, the commissioner from fire protection subdistrict one shall be elected to a term of two (2) years and the commissioners from subdistricts two and three shall be elected to a term of four (4) years; thereafter, the term of office of all commissioners shall be four (4) years. Such elections and all other elections held under this law shall be held in conformity with the general laws of the state including chapter 14, title 34, Idaho Code.
(4) A fire protection district whose terms and elections were established by prior law shall convert to the election of commissioners as provided in this section.
(5) In any election for fire protection district commissioner, if after the deadline for filing a declaration of intent as a write-in candidate it appears that only one (1) qualified candidate has been nominated for a subdistrict to be filled, it shall not be necessary for the candidate of that subdistrict to stand for election, and the board of the fire protection district shall declare such candidate elected as commissioner, and the secretary of the district shall immediately make and deliver to such person a certificate of election.
(6) The results of any election for fire protection district commissioner shall be certified by the county clerk of the county or counties of the district and the results reported to the fire protection district.
[31-1410, added 1943, ch. 161, sec. 10, p. 328; am. 1951, ch. 135, sec. 1, p. 311; am. 1982, ch. 361, sec. 1, p. 912; am. 1995, ch. 118, sec. 28, p. 453; am. 1998, ch. 190, sec. 3, p. 693; am. 2000, ch. 336, sec. 1, p. 1129; am. 2003, ch. 90, sec. 1, p. 275; am. 2006, ch. 318, sec. 7, p. 994; am. 2009, ch. 341, sec. 18, p. 1003; am. 2010, ch. 185, sec. 1, p. 382; am. 2016, ch. 89, sec. 3, p. 276.]