COUNTIES AND COUNTY LAW
NONMEDICAL INDIGENT ASSISTANCE
31-3403. Definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Adult household member" means any individual eighteen (18) years of age and over who resides in the household.
(2) "Anticipated future income" means a reasonable expectation of income to the household based on an analysis of past income, future income, current income, experience, skills, education, inheritance and possible assets from any source.
(3) "Applicant" means the individual and all others in the household who are requesting nonmedical assistance and who submit a county application.
(4) "Assets" means property rights including, but not limited to, personal, real, tangible and intangible property.
(5) "Authorized representative" means the applicant’s guardian or appointed attorney-in-fact.
(6) "Board" means a board of county commissioners.
(7) "Clerk" means the clerk of a board of county commissioners or his designee.
(8) "Emergency" means any circumstance demanding immediate action.
(9) "Household" means a collective body of persons consisting of spouses or parents and their children who reside in the same residence; or all other persons who by choice or necessity are mutually dependent upon each other for basic necessities and who reside in the same residence.
(10) "Indigent" means any applicant who does not have resources available from whatever source which shall be sufficient to enable the applicant to provide nonmedical assistance or a portion thereof.
(11) "Information release" means the document authorizing release of confidential information.
(12) "Investigation" means a detailed examination of the application and information required from the applicant and others to verify eligibility.
(13) "Nonmedical assistance" means reasonable costs for assistance, which includes food, shelter and provision of public defender services, and other such necessary services determined by the board by resolution.
(14) "Obligated county for payment" means the county wherein residency has been established.
(15) "Recipient" means the individual(s) determined eligible for county assistance.
(16) "Repayment" means the authority of the board of county commissioners to require indigent person(s) to repay the county for assistance when investigation of their application determines their ability to do so.
(17) "Resident" means a person with a home, house, place of abode, place of habitation, dwelling or place where one actually lived for a consecutive period of thirty (30) days or more prior to the date of application.
(18) "Resource" means assets, whether tangible or intangible, real or personal, liquid or nonliquid, including, but not limited to, gifts, bequests, grants, all forms of public or private assistance, crime victims compensation, worker’s compensation, veteran’s benefits, medicaid, medicare and any other property from any source for which an applicant and/or an obligated person may be eligible or in which he or she may have an interest. For purposes of determining approval for nonmedical indigency only, resources shall not include the value of the homestead of the applicant or obligated person’s residence, a burial plot, exemptions for personal property allowed in section 11-605(1) through (3), Idaho Code, and additional exemptions allowed by county resolution.
[31-3403, added 1992, ch. 83, sec. 3, p. 258; am. 1998, ch. 204, sec. 1, p. 723; am. 2014, ch. 97, sec. 19, p. 282; am. 2016, ch. 214, sec. 2, p. 600.]