Idaho Statutes

33-2122.  Powers and duties of dormitory housing commissions. A dormitory housing commission shall constitute an independent public body corporate and politic, exercising public and essential governmental functions, and having all the powers necessary or convenient to carry out and effectuate the purposes and provisions of this act, including the following powers in addition to others herein granted:
(a)  To sue and be sued; to have a corporate seal and to alter the same at pleasure; to have perpetual succession; to make and execute contracts and other instruments necessary or convenient to the exercise of the powers of the commission, and to make and from time to time amend and repeal by-laws, rules and regulations, not inconsistent with this act, to carry into effect the powers and purposes of the commission.
(b)  Within the junior college district: to prepare, carry out, acquire, lease and operate dormitory housing projects; to provide for the construction, reconstruction, improvement, alteration or repair of any dormitory housing project or any part thereof; to contract for the management and supervision of dormitory housing projects, and in this connection the supervision of the students occupying a dormitory shall be delegated to the officers and employees of the junior college so that the supervision and conduct of such dormitory and its occupants are harmonious with the supervision and conduct of similar dormitories or other operations conducted by said junior college, it being considered that it is necessary that the junior college, at which the students occupying said dormitories are attending, shall have fit and proper control and responsibility of the discipline, supervision and conduct of such students; provided further that a lease may be entered into leasing the dormitory and properties to the junior college district under any terms and conditions deemed reasonable and desirable by the commissioner and the board of trustees of the junior college.
(c)  To arrange or contract for the furnishing by any person or agency, public or private, of services, privileges, works or facilities for, or in connection with, a dormitory housing project; and to include in any contract let in connection with a project any stipulations required by law relating to wages and hours of labor, and comply with any conditions which the federal government may attach to its financial aid of the project.
(d)  To own, hold and improve real and personal property; to purchase, lease, obtain options upon, acquire by gift, grant or bequest or devise or otherwise, any real or personal property or any interest therein; to acquire by the exercise of the power of eminent domain any real property; to sell, lease, exchange, transfer, assign, pledge or dispose of any real or personal property or any interest therein; to insure or provide for the insurance of any real or personal property or operation of the authority against any risks or hazards; to procure or agree to the procurement of insurance or guaranties from the federal government of the payment of any bonds or parts thereof issued by an authority, including the power to pay premiums on such insurance; to rent, manage and lease said dormitory housing projects within the purview and purpose of this act, and to establish and revise the rents or charges therefor; provided, however, that said rents shall be as uniform as may be possible under the terms and conditions of the obligations of such commission with similar dormitory rentals at said junior college;
(e)  To invest any funds held in reserves or sinking funds, or any funds not required for immediate disbursement, in property or securities in which savings banks may legally invest funds subject to their control; to purchase its bonds at a price not more than the principal amount thereof and accrued interest, and all bonds so purchased shall be cancelled.
(f)  To exercise all or any part or combination of powers herein granted and do all things necessary or incidental to the proper operation of this act.
No provisions of law with respect to the acquisition, operation or disposition of property by other public bodies shall be applicable to any commission unless the legislature shall specifically so state.

[33-2122, added 1957, ch. 87, sec. 7, p. 137.]

How current is this law?

Search the Idaho Statutes and Constitution