IDAHO BUREAU OF EDUCATIONAL SERVICES FOR THE DEAF AND THE BLIND ACT OF 2009
33-3406. powers and DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS. The board of directors for the Idaho bureau of educational services for the deaf and the blind shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) Recommend policies to be established by rule of the state board of education for effecting the purposes of this chapter.
(2) Operate a school for the deaf and the blind, including but not limited to:
(a) With the advice of the administrator, prescribe the course of study, the textbooks to be used, and for those pupils who complete the requirements for grade twelve (12), the time and standard of graduation;
(b) Upon advice and recommendation from the administrator that any pupil has ceased to make progress, or is no longer being benefited by the school’s services, approve release of such pupil from the school and/or discontinue school services;
(c) Maintain general supervision and control of all property, real and personal, appertaining to the school, and to ensure the same;
(d) Employ architects or engineers as necessary in planning the construction, remodeling or repair of any building and, whenever no other agency is designated so to do, to let contracts for such construction, remodeling or repair and to supervise the work thereof; and
(e) Provide for the conveyance of pupils to and from the school.
(3) Employ or contract with outreach and other staff as necessary. The Idaho bureau of educational services for the deaf and the blind shall be exempt from the provisions of sections 33-513, 33-514, 33-514A, 33-515 and 33-515A, Idaho Code, and shall be exempt from chapter 53, title 67, Idaho Code. At the discretion of the board, all employees of the Idaho bureau of educational services for the deaf and the blind or a school for the deaf and the blind eligible for benefits may be permitted to elect to receive their salary on a year-round basis. Such a payment schedule shall not be considered a guarantee of employment.
(4) Purchase such supplies and equipment as are necessary to implement the provisions of this chapter, which purchases shall be exempt from the state procurement act in chapter 92, title 67, Idaho Code.
(5) Enter into contracts with any other governmental or public agency whereby the bureau agrees to render services to or for such agency in exchange for a charge reasonably calculated to cover the costs of rendering such service.
(6) Accept, receive and utilize any gifts, grants or funds and personal and real property that may be donated to it for the fulfillment of the purposes outlined in this chapter.
(7) Obtain and maintain facilities to house operations of outreach or supplemental services as needed.
(8) Manage the moneys disbursed to the bureau from any and all sources.
(9) Acquire, by purchase, exchange, or lease any property which in the judgment of the board is needed for the operation of the Idaho bureau of educational services for the deaf and the blind, including a school for the deaf and the blind, and to lease, dispose of, by sale or exchange, any property which in the judgment of the board is not needed for the operation of the same.
(10) Enter into contracts or agreements as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
[33-3406, added 2009, ch. 168, sec. 4, p. 506; am. 2016, ch. 289, sec. 8, p. 809.]