Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


34-1411.  Payment of election expenses by county. (1) On and after January 1, 2011, no county shall charge any taxing district, as defined in section 63-201, Idaho Code, for expenses associated with conducting any election on behalf of any taxing district, with the exception of expenses associated with conducting municipal runoff elections, which shall be paid by the city adopting runoff elections pursuant to the provisions of section 50-612 or 50-707B, Idaho Code. Expenses associated with conducting taxing district elections shall include:
(a)  Costs of ballot preparation, distribution, printing and counting, including absentee ballots.
(b)  Costs of printing poll books and costs of tally books, stamps, signs and any other voting supplies, publications and equipment.
(c)  Wages or other compensation for election judges and clerks or any county employees or officials performing duties associated with conducting taxing district elections.
(d)  Costs paid for renting polling facilities.
(e)  Acquisition, repair, maintenance or any other costs associated with voting machines or vote tally systems as defined in subsections (9) and (10) of section 34-2401, Idaho Code.
(f)  Costs of publishing and printing election notices and ballots.
(2)  Counties shall not be responsible for any election expenses prior to the time any taxing district orders an election, such as notice and costs for public hearings and notice and costs for public hearings on ballot measures.
(3)  Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, all ballot questions shall be limited to two hundred fifty (250) words or less. If a ballot question is in excess of two hundred fifty (250) words, the entity proposing a ballot question that is not a state constitutional amendment shall be required to pay the ballot printing costs associated with the ballot question.

[34-1411, added 2009, ch. 341, sec. 63, p. 1035.]

How current is this law?