UNAUTHORIZED INSURERS AND SURPLUS LINES
41-1233. Report and tax of independently procured coverages. (1) Every insured who in this state procures or causes to be procured or continues or renews insurance in an unauthorized foreign insurer, or any self-insurer who in this state so procures or continues excess loss, catastrophe or other insurance, upon a subject of insurance resident, located or to be performed within this state, other than insurance procured through a surplus line broker pursuant to the surplus line law of this state or exempted from tax pursuant to section 41-1212, Idaho Code, shall within thirty (30) days after the date such insurance policy was so received by the insured, continued or renewed file a written report of the same with the surplus line association on forms designated by the director and furnished to the insured upon request. The report shall show the name and address of the insured or insureds, name and address of the insurer, the subject of the insurance, a general description of the coverage, the amount of premium currently charged therefor, and such additional pertinent information as the director reasonably requests. If the insurance covers also a subject of insurance resident, located or to be performed outside this state, a proper pro rata portion of the entire premium payable for all such insurance shall be allocated to this state for the purposes of this section.
(2) Any insurance in an unauthorized insurer procured through negotiations or an application in whole or in part occurring or made within or from within this state, or for which premiums in whole or in part are remitted directly or indirectly from within this state, shall be deemed to be insurance procured or continued or renewed in this state within the intent of subsection (1) of this section.
(3) The insured with respect to the obligation, chose in action, or right represented by such insurance shall be subject to section 41-1229, Idaho Code, as it pertains to premium tax. Within thirty (30) days after the insurance policy was so received by the insured, continued or renewed, and coincidentally with the filing with the surplus line association of the report provided for in subsection (1) of this section, the insured shall pay the amount of the tax to the director and a stamping fee to the surplus line association.
(4) The tax shall be collectible from the insured by civil action brought by the director, or by distraint.
(5) This section does not abrogate or modify any provision of section 41-1201 (representing or aiding unauthorized insurer prohibited), 41-1202 (representing or aiding unauthorized insurer prohibited — penalty), or 41-1203 (suits by unauthorized insurer prohibited), Idaho Code.
(6) This section does not apply as to life or disability insurances.
[41-1233, added 1961, ch. 330, sec. 277, p. 645; am. 1988, ch. 366, sec. 5, p. 1080; am. 1993, ch. 22, sec. 7, p. 82; am. 2002, ch. 91, sec. 13, p. 232; am. 2004, ch. 387, sec. 2, p. 1164; am. 2021, ch. 42, sec. 2, p. 124.]