Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


50-1703.  Powers conferred. (a) The governing body of any municipality shall have power to make or cause to be made any one (1) or more or combination of the following improvements:
(1)  To establish grades and lay out, establish, open, extend and widen any local, collector, arterial or other street, sidewalk, alley or off-street parking facility;
(2)  To purchase, acquire, construct, improve, repair, light, grade, pave, repave, surface, resurface, curb, gutter, sewer, drain, landscape and beautify any street, sidewalk or alley;
(3)  To purchase, construct, reconstruct, extend, maintain or repair bridges, sidewalks, crosswalks, driveways, culverts, sanitary sewers, storm sewers, ditches, drains, conduits, flood barriers and channels for sanitary and drainage purposes, or either or both thereof, with inlets or outlets, manholes, catch basins, flush tanks, treatment systems and all other sewer and drainage appurtenances necessary for the comfort, convenience, health and well-being of the inhabitants of the municipality; provided, that any improvements for sanitary sewer facilities shall be constructed so as to conform with the general rules of the Idaho department of environmental quality;
(4)  To construct, reconstruct, extend, maintain, or repair lines, facilities and equipment (other than generating equipment) for street lighting purposes or for the expansion or improvement of a previously established municipally-owned electrical distribution system, to a district within the boundaries of the municipality;
(5)  To plant, or cause to be planted, set out, cultivate and maintain lawns, shade trees or other landscaping;
(6)  To cover, fence, safeguard or enclose reservoirs, canals, ditches and watercourses and to construct, reconstruct, extend, line or reline, maintain and repair waterworks, reservoirs, canals, ditches, pipes, mains, hydrants, and other water facilities for the purpose of supplying water for domestic, irrigation and fire protection purposes, or any of them; regulating, controlling or distributing the same and regulating and controlling water and watercourses leading into the municipality;
(7)  To acquire, construct, reconstruct, extend, maintain or repair parking lots or other facilities for the parking of vehicles on or off streets;
(8)  To acquire, construct, reconstruct, extend, maintain or repair parks and other recreational facilities;
(9)  To remove any nonconforming existing facility or structure in the areas to be improved;
(10) To construct, reconstruct, extend, maintain or repair optional improvements;
(11) To acquire by purchase, gift, condemnation, or otherwise any real or personal property within the limits of the municipality as in the judgment of the council may be necessary or convenient in order to make any of such improvements or otherwise to carry out the purposes of this chapter;
(12) To make any other improvements now or hereafter authorized by any other law, the cost of which in whole or in part can properly be determined to be of particular benefit to a particular area within the municipality;
(13) To construct and install all such structures, equipment and other items and to do all such other work and to incur any such costs and expenses as may be necessary or appropriate to complete any of such improvements in a proper manner;
(14) To purchase, build, construct, reconstruct or otherwise improve parking facilities and all other appurtenances necessary to provide adequate off-street parking, and to that end may acquire real or personal property by purchase, gift, condemnation or otherwise, and may own, possess and maintain such real or personal property within the limits of the municipality as in the judgment of the council may be necessary and convenient for such purposes; and
(15) To acquire, purchase, build, construct or reconstruct irrigation systems, install underground tiling and cover open irrigation ditches.
(b)  For the purpose of making and paying for all or a part of the cost of any of such improvements (including optional improvements), the governing body of a municipality may create local improvement districts within the municipality, levy assessments on the property within such a district which is benefited by the making of the improvements and issue interim or registered warrants and local improvement bonds as provided in this chapter.

[50-1703, added 1976, ch. 160, sec. 2, p. 569; am. 1999, ch. 291, sec. 2, p. 725; am. 2001, ch. 103, sec. 94, p. 332.]

How current is this law?