PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
ENGINEERS AND SURVEYORS
54-1208. Board — Powers. (1) The board shall have the power to adopt and amend administrative rules including, but not limited to, rules of professional responsibility, rules of continuing professional development not to exceed sixteen (16) hours annually for each profession for which the professional is licensed, and rules of procedure, not inconsistent with the constitution and laws of this state, which may be reasonably necessary for the proper performance of its duties and the administration of the chapter and the regulation of proceedings before the board. These actions by the board shall be binding upon persons licensed under this chapter and shall be applicable to business entities holding a certificate of authorization as provided in section 54-1235, Idaho Code. It shall adopt and have an official seal which shall be affixed to each license and certificate issued. It shall have power to provide an office, office equipment and facilities and such books and records as may be reasonably necessary for the proper performance of its duties.
(2) In carrying into effect the provisions of this chapter, the board may subpoena witnesses and compel their attendance, and also may require the submission of books, papers, documents, or other pertinent data in any disciplinary matters or in any case wherever a violation of this chapter is alleged. Upon failure or refusal to comply with any such order of the board, or upon failure to honor its subpoena as herein provided, the board may apply to any court of any jurisdiction to enforce compliance with same.
(3) The board is hereby authorized in the name of the state to apply for relief by injunction in the established manner provided in cases of civil procedure, without bond, to enforce the provisions of this chapter or to restrain any violation thereof. Venue for all such actions shall be in the district court of the fourth judicial district, Ada county, Idaho.
(4) The board may subject an applicant for licensure or certification to such examination as it deems necessary to determine qualifications.
(5) Any action, claim or demand to recover money damages from the board or its employees which any person is legally entitled to recover as compensation for the negligent or otherwise wrongful act or omission of the board or its employees, when acting within the course and scope of their employment, shall be governed by the Idaho tort claims act, chapter 9, title 6, Idaho Code. For purposes of this section, the term "employees" shall include, in addition to those persons listed in section 6-902(4), Idaho Code, special assignment members, emeritus members and any independent contractors while acting within the course and scope of their board related work.
(6) The board may recommend arbitration of disputes between professional engineers or disputes between professional land surveyors.
[54-1208, added 1939, ch. 231, sec. 8, p. 516; am. 1957, ch. 234, sec. 5, p. 547; am. 1963, ch. 22, sec. 1, p. 163; am. 1974, ch. 13, sec. 110, p. 138; am. 1986, ch. 140, sec. 7, p. 380; am. 1990, ch. 192, sec. 1, p. 424; am. 1998, ch. 220, sec. 6, p. 758; am. 1999, ch. 273, sec. 1, p. 686; am. 2000, ch. 289, sec. 4, p. 993; am. 2001, ch. 247, sec. 3, p. 892; am 2008, ch. 378, sec. 6, p. 1029.]