PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
PRACTICE OF PHYSICAL THERAPY
54-2220. Discipline actions and procedures. (1) The board shall regulate the practice of physical therapy in the state of Idaho. The board is authorized to institute any investigation, hearing or other legal proceeding necessary to effect compliance with this chapter.
(2) The board or its hearing officer, upon a finding that action is necessary, shall have the power pursuant to this chapter to administer oaths, take depositions of witnesses within or without the state in the manner provided by the administrative rules adopted by the board, and shall have power throughout the state of Idaho to require the attendance of such witnesses and the production of such books, records and papers as it may desire at any hearing and for that purpose the board may issue a subpoena for any witness or a subpoena duces tecum to compel the production of any books, records or papers, directed to the sheriff of any county of the state of Idaho, where such witness resides or may be found which shall be served and returned. The board may require a licensee to be examined to determine his or her mental or physical competence when the board has probable cause to believe the licensee is suffering from an impairment that might impede his or her ability to practice competently.
(3) When it is brought to the attention of the board by the written statement of any person that a person licensed under this chapter has done any act or thing in violation of any provision of this chapter, the board shall immediately make an investigation of such person and, if the board finds that there is probable cause to institute proceedings against such person, it shall without unnecessary delay transmit to that person by mail a copy of the charges and shall fix a day for a hearing upon the matter. Said hearing shall be conducted in accordance with chapter 52, title 67, Idaho Code, and with the administrative rules adopted by the board.
(4) An assessment for costs and attorney’s fees incurred in the investigation and prosecution or defense of a person under this section shall be governed by the provisions of section 12-117(5), Idaho Code.
(5) The board may investigate any person to the extent necessary to determine if the person is engaged in the unlawful practice of physical therapy. If an investigation indicates that a person may be practicing physical therapy unlawfully, the board shall inform the person of the alleged violation. The board may refer the matter for prosecution whether or not the person ceases the unlawful practice of physical therapy.
(6) The board may, in the name of the people of the state of Idaho, apply for injunctive relief in any court of competent jurisdiction to enjoin any person from committing any act in violation of this chapter. Such injunction proceedings shall be in addition to, and not in lieu of, all penalties and other remedies provided for in this chapter.
[(54-2220) 54-2219, added 2001, ch. 197, sec. 2, p. 674; am. 2005, ch. 185, sec. 3, p. 571; am. and redesig. 2006, ch. 116, sec. 17, p. 325; am. 2018, ch. 348, sec. 14, p. 812.]