PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
54-2302. Definitions. Within the meaning of this chapter the following definitions apply:
(1) "Department" means the department of self-governing agencies of the state of Idaho.
(2) "Bureau chief" means the chief of the bureau of occupational licenses of the state of Idaho.
(3) "Board" means the Idaho state board of psychologist examiners.
(4) "Licensed medical provider" means a physician or physician assistant licensed pursuant to chapter 18, title 54, Idaho Code, or an advanced practice registered nurse licensed pursuant to chapter 14, title 54, Idaho Code.
(5) "Person," "he" and "his" mean either male or female persons unless a contrary intention is made manifest. None of these words shall be taken to mean other than a natural person.
(6) "Psychological services" means any services to which the words "psychological," "psychologist" or "psychology" are applied by the person rendering or offering to render them or to the "practice of psychology" as defined in subsection (7) of this section.
(7) "Practice of psychology" means the application of established principles of learning, motivation, perception, thinking, and emotional relationships to problems of personnel evaluation, group relations, and behavior adjustment. The application of said principles includes, but is not restricted to, counseling and the use of psychotherapeutic measures with persons or groups to eliminate symptomatic, maladaptive or undesired behavior so as to enhance interpersonal relationships in the areas of work, family, school, and personal relationships; measuring and testing of personality, intelligence, aptitudes, emotions, public opinion, attitudes, and skills; diagnosing and treating mental and emotional disorders or disabilities; and doing research on problems relating to human behavior.
(8) A person represents himself to be a psychologist when he holds himself out to the public by any title or description incorporating the words "psychological," "psychologist" or "psychology" or offers to render or renders psychological services for remuneration.
(9) "Temporary permit" means a document issued by the board to a psychologist licensed in another state authorizing the individual to practice psychology in Idaho for a limited period as set forth in this chapter and rules of the board.
[54-2302, added 1963, ch. 186, sec. 2, p. 549; am. 1974, ch. 13, sec. 158, p. 138; am. 1987, ch. 147, sec. 1, p. 292; am. 2009, ch. 33, sec. 1, p. 90; am. 2017, ch. 238, sec. 1, p. 585.]