PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
IDAHO CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION ACT
54-5206. Idaho contractors board. (1) The Idaho contractors board is hereby created and made a part of the division of occupational and professional licenses. It shall be the responsibility and duty of the division administrator to administer this chapter, and the division administrator shall exercise such powers and duties as are reasonably necessary to enforce the provisions of this chapter. The board may promulgate such rules as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter in order to effectuate the purposes herein and for the orderly and efficient administration thereof, except as may be limited or prohibited by law and the provisions of this chapter.
(2) The board shall consist of four (4) members who are contractors, and one (1) member of the public at large, all of whom shall be appointed by the governor as follows: one (1) contractor from the northern district consisting of Idaho, Lewis, Nez Perce, Clearwater, Latah, Benewah, Boundary, Shoshone, Kootenai and Bonner counties; one (1) contractor from the southeastern district consisting of Lemhi, Butte, Clark, Fremont, Jefferson, Madison, Teton, Bonneville, Bingham, Caribou, Bear Lake, Franklin, Oneida, Power and Bannock counties; one (1) contractor from the southwestern district consisting of Owyhee, Elmore, Ada, Canyon, Boise, Gem, Payette, Washington, Adams and Valley counties; one (1) contractor from the south central district consisting of Blaine, Camas, Cassia, Custer, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka and Twin Falls counties. The one (1) member of the public at large shall reside in the state of Idaho and be a person of integrity and good reputation who has lived in this state for at least five (5) years immediately preceding appointment, who has never been registered as a contractor in this or another state, and who has never had a substantial personal, business, professional or pecuniary connection with a contractor except as a purchaser or owner of real property.
(3) Each member of the board who is a contractor shall serve a term of four (4) years. No member of the board may be appointed to more than two (2) consecutive terms, and all board members shall serve at the pleasure of the governor.
(4) The board shall meet within thirty (30) days after the appointment of all its members and thereafter at such other times as may be expedient and necessary for the proper performance of its duties, but not less than once during each calendar quarter. At the board’s first meeting, the members shall elect one (1) of their number to be chairman. The chairman may serve in such capacity for a one (1) year term and may not serve in such capacity for more than two (2) consecutive terms. A majority of the board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
(5) The board may delegate to the division administrator:
(a) The power to perform ministerial functions, investigate and discipline, hold hearings, appoint hearing officers, summon witnesses to appear, administer oaths and take affirmations of witnesses at any formal proceeding or before a duly appointed hearing officer;
(b) The power to appoint competent persons to issue subpoenas, administer oaths and take testimony; and
(c) The power to enforce orders of the board.
(6) Each member of the board shall be compensated as provided by section 59-509(n), Idaho Code.
(7) On and after January 1, 2006, each member of the board who is a contractor shall be registered in accordance with this chapter and shall be in good standing.
[54-5206, added 2005, ch. 153, sec. 1, p. 474; am. 2008, ch. 107, sec. 1, p. 304; am. 2016, ch. 340, sec. 44, p. 963; am. 2021, ch. 222, sec. 37, p. 649.]