Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


55-2714.  Tenant action for damages — Specific performance. (1) A tenant of a floating home marina may file an action against a landlord for damages and specific performance for:
(a)  Failure to maintain in good working order, to the terminal point of service, electrical, water or sewer services supplied by the landlord;
(b)  Maintaining those portions of the premises open to use by the tenant in a manner hazardous to the health or safety of the tenant including, but not limited to, a continuing violation of any of the following:
(i)   Any rule adopted by the department of environmental quality governing public drinking water systems;
(ii)  Any rule adopted by the department of environmental quality governing hazardous waste;
(iii) Any rule adopted by the public health district in which the floating home marina is located governing wastewater and on-site sewage treatment systems;
(iv)  Any provisions of the international fire code, as amended by the provisions of a fire code adopted by the county or municipality in which the floating home marina is located;
(v)   Any provisions of the uniform building code, as amended by the provisions of any building code adopted by the state, county or municipality in which the floating home marina is located.
(c)  Material breach of any specific term of a rental agreement.
(2)  Upon filing the complaint, a summons must be issued, served and returned as in other actions. Provided however, that in an action exclusively for specific performance, at the time of issuance of the summons, the court shall schedule a trial within twelve (12) days from the filing of the complaint, and the service of the summons, complaint and trial setting on the defendant shall be not less than five (5) days before the day of trial appointed by the court. If the plaintiff brings an action for damages with an action for specific performance, the early trial provision shall not be applicable, and a summons must be issued returnable as in other cases upon filing the complaint.
(3)  In an action under this section, the plaintiff, in his complaint, must set forth facts on which he seeks to recover, describe the premises, and set forth any circumstances which may have accompanied the failure or breach by the landlord.
(4)  If upon the trial, the verdict of the jury, or, if the case be tried without a jury, the finding of the court, be in favor of the plaintiff against the defendant, judgment shall be entered for such special damages as may be proven. General damages may be awarded but shall not exceed five hundred dollars ($500). Judgment may also be entered requiring specific performance for any breach of agreement shown by the evidence and for costs and disbursements.
(5)  Before a tenant shall have standing to file an action under this section, he must give his landlord three (3) days’ written notice, listing each failure or breach upon which his action will be premised and written demand requiring performance or cure. If, within three (3) days after service of the notice, any listed failure or breach has not been performed or cured by the landlord, or in the event of damage to the premises or other default not capable of cure within three (3) days and the landlord has not provided written assurance to the tenant that a cure will be effected within a reasonable time, the tenant may proceed to commence an action for damages and specific performance.
(6)  The notice required in subsection (5) of this section shall be served either:
(a)  By delivering a copy to the landlord or his agent personally; or
(b)  By leaving a copy with an employee at the usual place of business of the landlord or his agent if the landlord or his agent is absent from his usual place of business; or
(c)  By sending a copy of the notice to the landlord or his agent by certified mail, return receipt requested.
(7)  Nothing in this section shall bar either the landlord or the tenant from bringing such civil action for relief to which said party is otherwise entitled.

[55-2714, added 1998, ch. 194, sec. 1, p. 703; am. 2001, ch. 103, sec. 96, p. 335; am. 2002, ch. 86, sec. 12, p. 204.]

How current is this law?