STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
IDAHO SAFE BOATING ACT
67-7003. Definitions. In this chapter:
(1) "Actual physical control" means being in the operator’s position of the vessel with the motor running or with the vessel moving.
(2) "Aids to navigation" means such buoys, batons, markers or other fixed objects in the water which are established and used to mark obstructions or to direct navigation through separate channels.
(3) "Authorized vendor" means a retail/commercial enterprise or government office authorized by the department to sell certificates of number as provided in section 67-7008, Idaho Code.
(4) "Boating law administrator" means the staff person of the Idaho department of parks and recreation appointed by the director and who supervises the boating program.
(5) "Commercial vessel" means any vessel used in the carriage of any person, persons or property for a valuable consideration, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, partner, agent or any other person interested in the vessel.
(6) "Department" means the Idaho department of parks and recreation.
(7) "Director" means the director of the Idaho department of parks and recreation.
(8) "Float house" means a floating structure which is designed and built to be used, or is modified to be used, as a stationary waterborne residential dwelling, has no mode of power of its own, is dependent for utilities upon a continuous utility linkage to a source originating on shore, and has a permanent continuous connection to a sewage system on shore.
(9) "Float tube" means any vessel constructed of canvas, nylon or other material encasing an inflatable inner tube which allows the operator to sit inside with his legs dangling below the vessel.
(10) "Length of vessel" means the distance measured at the centerline at the highest point above the waterline from the fore-part of the outer hull at the bow to the aft-part of the outer hull at the stern, excepting any bowsprits, railings or extraneous or additional equipment.
(11) "Manufacturer" means any person who is engaged in the business of manufacturing or importing new and unused vessels for the purpose of sale or trade.
(12) "Operate" means to navigate or otherwise use a vessel on the water of this state.
(13) "Operator" means any person who controls the direction or propulsion of any vessel on the water of this state.
(14) "Owner" means any person having a property interest in or entitled to the use or possession of a vessel, including a person entitled to use or possession subject to the interest in another person reserved or created by agreement and securing payment of performance of an obligation, but not including a lessee under lease not intended as security.
(15) "Passenger" means every person carried aboard a vessel other than:
(a) The owner or his representative;
(b) The operator;
(c) A bona fide member of the crew engaged in the business of the vessel who has contributed no consideration for carriage and who is paid for his services; or
(d) Any guest on board a vessel which is used exclusively for pleasure purposes who has not contributed any consideration directly or indirectly for his carriage.
(16) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint stock association, or body politic, except the United States and the state of Idaho, and includes any agent, trustee, executor, reserve assignee or similar representative of any of the above.
(17) "Personal watercraft" means a small vessel which uses an outboard motor or an inboard motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of power and is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing or kneeling on, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.
(18) "Private label merchandiser" means any person engaged in the business of selling or distributing, under his own trade name, vessels manufactured by another.
(19) "Regatta," "Race," "Marine Event," "Tournament," or "Exhibition" means an organized water event of limited duration which is conducted according to a prearranged schedule.
(20) "Regulatory markers" means any fixed or anchored aid to navigation which is established and used, but is not limited to, the bathing beach markers, speed zone markers, information markers, swimming or diving markers, floating mooring buoys, fishing buoys or markers for ski courses or jumps.
(21) "Rules of the road" means the statutory and regulatory rules governing the navigation of vessels as published by the United States Coast Guard in Navigational Rules International — Inland.
(22) "Vessel" means every description of watercraft, including a seaplane on the water, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, but does not include float houses, diver’s aids operated and designed primarily to propel a diver below the surface of the water, and nonmotorized devices not designed or modified to be used as a means of transportation on the water, such as inflatable air mattresses, single inner tubes, and beach and water toys.
(23) "Water of this state" means any waters in the state of Idaho over which the state has jurisdiction.
[67-7003, added 1986, ch. 207, sec. 2, p. 516; am. 1988, ch. 368, sec. 1, p. 1085; am. 1994, ch. 65, sec. 2, p. 129; am. 1996, ch. 54, sec. 1, p. 161; am. 1996, ch. 335, sec. 2, p. 1133; am. 1997, ch. 101, sec. 1, p. 232; am. 1997, ch. 216, sec. 1, p. 636; am. 2014, ch. 338, sec. 16, p. 848.]