TRANSPARENT AND ETHICAL GOVERNMENT
PUBLIC RECORDS ACT
74-123. Idaho code is property of the state of Idaho. (1) The Idaho Code is the property of the state of Idaho, and the state of Idaho and the taxpayers shall be deemed to have a copyright on the Idaho Code. If a person reproduces or distributes the Idaho Code for the purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, the person shall owe to the Idaho code commission, as the agent of the state of Idaho, a royalty fee in addition to the fee charged for copying the Idaho Code. Any person who reproduces or distributes the Idaho Code in violation of the provisions of this section shall be deemed to be an infringer of the state of Idaho’s copyright. The Idaho code commission, through the office of the attorney general, is entitled to institute an action for any infringement of that particular right committed while the Idaho code commission or its designated agent has custody of the Idaho Code.
(2) A court having jurisdiction of a civil action arising under this section may grant such relief as it deems appropriate. At any time while an action under this section is pending, the court may order the impounding, on such terms as it deems reasonable, of all copies claimed to have been made or used in violation of the Idaho code commission’s copyright pursuant to this section.
(3) An infringer of the state of Idaho’s copyright pursuant to this section is liable for any profits the infringer has incurred by obtaining the Idaho Code for commercial purposes or is liable for statutory damages as provided in subsection (4) of this section.
(4) The Idaho code commission, as agent of the copyright owner, may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to the Idaho Code for which any one (1) infringer is liable individually, or for which any two (2) or more infringers are liable jointly and severally, in a sum of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) and not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), as the court considers just.
(5) In any civil action under this section, the court may allow the recovery of full costs by or against any party and may also award reasonable attorney’s fees to the prevailing party as part of the costs.
(6) The Idaho code commission is hereby authorized to license and charge fees for the use of the Idaho Code. The Idaho code commission may grant a license for the use of the Idaho Code to a public agency in the state and waive all or a portion of the fees. All fees recovered by the Idaho code commission shall be deposited in the general fund.
[74-123, added 2015, ch. 140, sec. 5, p. 367; am. 2022, ch. 111, sec. 36, p. 396.]