The Capitol is very open and visitor-friendly. Visitors are welcome to explore the Capitol at their leisure, while noting during the legislative session and other times, areas may be restricted due to government functions. The 4th floor public galleries are open to visitors to view the legislative proceedings and to view the House and Senate Chambers. Photography is generally allowed in the building, unless the House and Senate are conducting meetings. Photography is restricted during those times. Please begin your tour of the Capitol on the Garden Level of the Building where you will find a central rotunda filled with educational panels about Idaho and our state government.
TO SCHEDULE A TOUR PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR THE RESERVATON FORM OR CALL 208-332-1012 OR EMAIL CAPITOLTOURS@LSO.IDAHO.GOV.
Guided Tours (by Reservation Only)
- Grades lower than 3rd are invited to visit the Capitol using our self-guided tour program. The self-guided tour booklet can be downloaded here.
- School groups (3rd grade and higher) and visitors are invited to tour the Capitol through the Guided Tour Program. Click here to complete and submit the Tour Reservation Form.
- Guided tours must be scheduled a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance.
- Guided tours are available to groups with a minimum of 5 attendees. We strongly recommend a maximum of 50 (or 2 classrooms) per time slot to ensure an optimal tour experience. This is vital during the legislative session when hallways are full.
- Guided tours begin at 10:00 am or 1:00 pm, Monday – Friday.
- Guided tour times in March, April and May fill up quickly! Please contact us a maximum of 6 months prior to that day to ensure your reservation.
LIVE Interactive Virtual Tours
- Conducted LIVE over the internet with a tour guide and possibly a legislator from your district.
- Video vignettes are used to “lead” participants through the Capitol.
- Utilizes video teleconferencing equipment (VTC) which most high schools and libraries already have. If you do not have VTC equipment, please call Michelle O’Brien 208-334- 4850.
- Interactive Virtual Tours must be scheduled 1 month in advance to allow for technical processes.
- Minimum 1.5 megabyte internet connection required.
- The tour lasts approximately 1 hour but can be adjusted for your schedule.
- To schedule or for questions, please contact Capitol Virtual Tour @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call 208-334- 4850 or Jeff Tucker @ IPTV @ email@example.com.
NEW American Sign Language Tours
Thanks to a partnership with the Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, the Capitol Tour Program is able to offer our full tour in American Sign Language (ASL). Please provide a minimum of two weeks advance notice. To schedule an ASL tour or for questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to explore the Idaho State Capitol Virtually.
- Click here to watch The Capitol of Light, a video production by IPTV.
- Click here to explore Capitol for Kids, a website hosted by IPTV, which provides lessons, games and MORE!
This program can only work with the time and dedication of our volunteer tour guides! Schedules are flexible and training is provided. If you are interested in being a Volunteer Tour Guide please contact Michelle O’Brien at 208-334-4850 or email@example.com. For additional information on volunteer docents and an application click here
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request the answer keys.