Welcome to the Idaho Capitol Building
700 West Jefferson Street, Boise, Idaho – map
Session (approximately January – March): Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Interim (approximately April – December): Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday and Holidays, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Ways to Tour the Capitol
Physical Tours of the Capitol
- Guided tours are available to groups with a minimum of 5. We strongly recommend keeping your tour group size to a maximum of 50 attendees per time slot to ensure an optimal tour experience, especially during the legislative session. School groups, third grade and higher, are invited to tour the Capitol Building through the guided tour program. Second grade and lower are invited to tour the Capitol through our self-guided tour program with their teachers. The self-guided tour booklet can be downloaded by clicking here.
- Guided tours last approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes and are scheduled at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Reservations must be made at least 2 weeks in advance and a maximum of 6 months in advance. To schedule a tour, please call 208-332-1012 or email Capitol Tours.
- Groups of fewer than 5 people are welcome to tour the Capitol at their convenience. Click here to download the self-guided tour booklet. Printed copies are available at the Visitor’s Welcome Desk and in the Capitol Gift Shop, located on the Garden Level of the Capitol.
- Click here to explore Capitol for Kids, a website hosted by Idaho Public Television, that provides lessons about government, the State Capitol and Idaho History. This can be a valuable addition to your curriculum.
- Click here to watch The Capitol of Light, a video production by IPTV.
- If you’d like to meet with your legislators while you are at the Capitol, you must make an appointment directly with them. To identify your legislators, please see Who’s My Legislator.
- If you’re interested in volunteering as a tour guide, please contact Michelle O’Brien or call 208-334-4850.
Interactive Virtual Tours of the Capitol
- Interactive virtual tours must be scheduled a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 6 months in advance. Virtual tours will last approximately 1 hour but can be adjusted to suit your class period. To schedule a virtual tour please email Capitol Virtual Tour or call 208-334-4850.
- Interactive virtual tours are available for school groups 3rd grade or higher. For grades younger than 3rd, please visit the online tour hosted by Idaho Public Television with videos of the Capitol and the Capitol for Kids website. Both will enhance your classroom curriculum on multiple levels.
- Capitol Virtual Tour Overview – YouTube video
How to Schedule Rooms, Events, and Exhibts
Social Calendar: To schedule an event for the Social Calendar, call Terri Franks-Smith, 208-332-1112.
Front Steps or the Capitol Grounds: Contact the Department of Administration. Check here for event scheduling guidelines and procedures.
Meeting Rooms in the House section of the Capitol: During the legislative session, please contact Claudia Howell, 208-332-1150 or firstname.lastname@example.org. During the interim, please contact Terri Franks-Smith, 208-332-1112 or email@example.com. See these guidelines for more information.
Meeting Rooms in the Senate section of the Capitol, including the Lincoln Auditorium: Call the Senate Chief of Staff Mary Sue Jones at 208-332-1302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. See these guidelines for more information.
The 1st and 4th Floor Rotundas for events and exhibits: Call Senate Chief of Staff Mary Sue Jones at 208-332-1302 or email email@example.com. See these guidelines for more information.
Artwork is showcased on the walls in the hallway of the Capitol Garden Level on a temporary, rotating basis. If you’re interested in displaying art or a temporary exhibit, contact the Capitol Curator.
Historical photos are showcased on the walls of the legislative committee rooms in the Garden Level wings of the Capitol. For a listing of photo locations, please see the Idaho State Historical Society photo catalog.
Dining Room: The dining room, located in the West Atrium Wing of the Capitol, will be closed until the Legislature convenes in January. To schedule a catering or special event, please contact Beth Alpaugh at It’s All About You Catering, 208-893-5556, or visit It’s All About You Catering’s website. To reserve the dining room for your event, contact Senate Chief of Staff Mary Sue Jones at 208-332-1302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.