PROPERTY IN GENERAL
SELF-SERVICE STORAGE FACILITIES
55-2306. Enforcement of lien. (1) Action to enforce a lienholder’s claim which has become due against a lessee and which is secured by the owner’s lien may be taken by the owner or operator after the lessee has been in default of the rental agreement continuously for a period of sixty (60) days.
(2) The operator shall send notice by certified mail to the lessee at his last known address and to all persons disclosed by the lessee as claiming a security interest in the stored property. The notice shall include:
(a) The name, address and telephone number of the person claiming the lien;
(b) An itemized statement of the lienholder’s claim showing the sum due at the time of the notice and the date when the sum became due;
(c) A demand for payment within a time specified, not less than ten (10) days after mailing of the notice;
(d) A statement that unless the claim is paid within the time stated in the notice, the personal property shall be advertised for sale and shall be sold at a specified time and place, but which shall not be sooner than ten (10) days after the first publication;
(e) A brief and general description of the goods subject to the lien; and
(f) Notification that the operator may deny access by the lessee to his personal property until the lien has been satisfied.
(3) Upon expiration of the time specified in subsection (2)(c) of this section, an advertisement of the sale shall be published once a week for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the county where the self-service storage facility is located. The advertisement shall include:
(a) The location, date, time and manner of the sale of the property stored in the self-service facility;
(b) A brief and general description of the personal property; and
(c) The name and last known address of the lessee.
(4) At any time before the advertised sale of the personal property has been conducted, the lessee or any other person may pay the amount necessary to satisfy the lien, including all documented and verifiable labor and expenses incurred in enforcing the lien.
(5) In the event of a sale, the operator shall:
(a) Ensure that the sale is conducted in conformance with the terms of the published notice;
(b) Identify the specific properties and disclose the names and addresses provided by the lessee, of persons claiming a security interest in the specified properties; and
(c) Comply with the provisions of chapter 17, title 49, Idaho Code, when foreclosing on titled vehicles.
(6) The proceeds of the sale must be applied to the discharge of the lien and costs. The remainder, if any, shall be paid over to the lessee or any other person authorized in writing by the lessee to claim the balance.
[55-2306, added 1990, ch. 381, sec. 1, p. 1057.]