34-1012. alternative procedures for absentee voting — early voting. (1) Those counties that utilize absentee voting facilities that have access to the Idaho statewide voter registration system and count ballots at a central location or utilize a polling location based tabulation system may elect to conduct "early voting" according to the provisions of this section. For those counties that elect to do "early voting," early voting shall begin on or before the third Monday before the election and end at 5:00 p.m. on the Friday before the election. Primary election ballots shall be issued pursuant to section 34-1002(2), Idaho Code.
(2) A voter who appears at an "early voting" station to vote shall state his or her name and address to the election official and present the voter’s identification as required by sections 34-1113 and 34-1114, Idaho Code.
(3) The election official shall examine the records to ascertain whether or not such applicant is registered and lawfully entitled to vote as requested. The provisions of section 34-408A, Idaho Code, authorizing election day registration shall also apply in determining the applicant’s qualifications to vote.
(4) Before receiving a ballot, each elector shall sign his or her name in the election register and poll book provided for early voting.
(5) The elector shall then be given the appropriate ballots containing the official election ballot identification pursuant to section 34-901, Idaho Code, and shall be given folding instructions for such ballots, if appropriate.
(6) Upon receipt of the ballots, the elector shall retire to a vacant voting booth and mark the ballots according to the instructions provided.
(7) After marking the ballot, the elector shall present himself or herself to the election official at the ballot box and state his or her name and address. The elector shall then deposit the ballot in the ballot box or hand it to the election official, who shall deposit it. The election official shall then record that the elector has voted and proclaim the same in an audible voice.
(8) Voters requiring assistance shall be provided with such assistance in accordance with section 34-1108, Idaho Code.
(9) Electioneering is prohibited at an early voting polling place as provided in section 18-2318, Idaho Code.
[34-1012, added 2013, ch. 132, sec. 1, p. 302; am. 2016, ch. 138, sec. 1, p. 403.]