PUBLIC ADJUSTER LICENSING ACT
41-5802. Definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Business entity" means a corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership or other legal entity.
(2) "Fingerprints" means an impression of the lines on the finger taken for purpose of identification. The impression may be electronic or in ink converted to electronic format.
(3) "Home state" means the District of Columbia or any state or territory of the United States in which the public adjuster’s principal place of residence or principal place of business is located. If neither the state in which the public adjuster maintains the principal place of residence nor the state in which the public adjuster maintains the principal place of business has a substantially similar law governing public adjusters, the public adjuster may declare another state in which it becomes licensed and acts as a public adjuster to be the home state.
(4) "Individual" means a natural person.
(5) "Person" means an individual or a business entity.
(6) "Public adjuster" means any person who, for compensation or any other thing of value on behalf of the insured:
(a) Acts or aids, solely in relation to first party claims arising under insurance contracts that insure the real or personal property of the insured, on behalf of an insured in negotiating for, or effecting the settlement of, a claim for loss or damage covered by an insurance contract;
(b) Advertises for employment as a public adjuster of insurance claims or solicits business or represents himself or herself to the public as a public adjuster of first party insurance claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property; or
(c) Directly or indirectly solicits business, investigates or adjusts losses, or advises an insured about first party claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property for another person engaged in the business of adjusting losses or damages covered by an insurance policy, for the insured.
[41-5802, added 2008, ch. 179, sec. 1, p. 532.]