MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
49-420A. Idaho state capitol commission plates. (1) On and after January 1, 2002, any person who is the owner of a vehicle registered under the provisions of section 49-402, Idaho Code, or registered under any other section of law for which the purchase of special plates is allowed, may apply for and, upon department approval, receive special Idaho state capitol commission plates in lieu of regular license plates.
(2) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any vehicle with a registered maximum gross weight over twenty-six thousand (26,000) pounds. Availability of Idaho state capitol commission plates for other vehicles shall be subject to the rules, policies and procedures of the department.
(3) In addition to the regular registration fee required in chapter 4, title 49, Idaho Code, the applicant shall be charged a fee of thirty-five dollars ($35.00) for the initial issuance of plates, and twenty-five dollars ($25.00) upon each succeeding annual registration. Ten dollars ($10.00) of the initial fee and ten dollars ($10.00) of the renewal fee shall be deposited in the state highway account and shall be used to fund the cost of administration of this special license plate program. Twenty-five dollars ($25.00) of each initial fee and fifteen dollars ($15.00) of each renewal fee shall be deposited by the state treasurer in the capitol maintenance reserve fund established in section 67-1610A, Idaho Code, and shall be used exclusively for the purposes of chapter 16, title 67, Idaho Code.
(4) Whenever title or interest in a vehicle registered under the provisions of this section is transferred or assigned, the owner may transfer the special plates to another vehicle upon payment of the required transfer fees. The owner may only display the plates on another vehicle upon receipt of the new registration from the department.
(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 49-402C, Idaho Code, the Idaho state capitol commission license plate shall be of a color and design acceptable to the Idaho state capitol commission, except that the word "Idaho" shall appear on each plate and the county designator shall be omitted to provide for distinguishing designs and slogans. The design shall be approved by the department, utilizing a numbering system as determined by the department. Initial costs of the plate program, including costs of plate design, shall be paid by the Idaho state capitol commission.
(6) Sample Idaho state capitol commission license plates may be purchased for a fee of thirty dollars ($30.00), ten dollars ($10.00) of which shall be deposited in the state highway account and twenty dollars ($20.00) of which shall be deposited in the Idaho capitol endowment income fund. No additional fee shall be charged for personalizing sample plates.
[49-420A, added 2001, ch. 281, sec. 2, p. 1012; am. 2005, ch. 309, sec. 1, p. 960; am. 2008, ch. 14, sec. 1, p. 20; am. 2013, ch. 111, sec. 4, p. 267.]