STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
IDAHO SAFE BOATING ACT
67-7078. Personal watercraft liveries. (1) Any person who offers a personal watercraft for lease, hire, or rent shall:
(a) Provide a United States coast guard-approved personal flotation device and any other required safety equipment to all persons who lease, hire, or rent the personal watercraft at no additional charge;
(b) Display a safety information decal provided by the department describing laws, rules, and safety measures pertaining to personal watercraft in a location clearly visible from the operator’s position on each personal watercraft leased, hired, or rented;
(c) Instruct each person that will operate the personal watercraft during the rental or lease period on the laws, rules, and safe operation of the personal watercraft as prescribed by the department;
(d) Provide to the person leasing, hiring, or renting the personal watercraft a written copy of acknowledgment of instruction on forms provided by the department. Each copy must contain the names and physical description of all persons eligible to operate the personal watercraft during the rental or lease period; and
(e) Provide the complete reading of "personal watercraft laws and safe operation" and provide the complete viewing of the video "play it safe" produced by the personal watercraft industry association.
(2) All persons operating a rented, leased, or hired personal watercraft must carry on board for inspection by any law enforcement officer a valid "Idaho PWC renter’s acknowledgment of education" form.
(3) All forms, videos, and other required educational materials will be provided to personal watercraft liveries by the department at no charge to the livery.
(4) It is unlawful for any person to operate a personal watercraft that is being rented, hired, or leased before being instructed on the laws, rules, and safe operation of personal watercraft by the lessor as prescribed in this chapter.
(5) Any person operating a personal watercraft that is leased, hired, or rented must carry on board a written copy of acknowledgment of instruction whenever the personal watercraft is in operation.
(6) Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of an infraction and punishable as provided in section 18-113A, Idaho Code.
[67-7078, added 1996, ch. 335, sec. 4, p. 1135; am. 2022, ch. 218, sec. 10, p. 726.]