CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
NO PUBLIC FUNDS FOR ABORTION ACT
18-8702. definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Abortion" means the act of using or prescribing any instrument, medicine, drug, or any other substance, device, or means with the intent to terminate the clinically diagnosable pregnancy of a woman with knowledge that the termination by those means will, with reasonable likelihood, cause the death of the unborn child. Such use, prescription, or means is not an abortion if done with the intent to save the life or preserve the health of the unborn child, remove a dead unborn child caused by spontaneous abortion, or remove an ectopic pregnancy.
(2) "Affiliate" means an organization that owns or controls or is owned or controlled, in whole or in part, by the other; is related by shareholdings or other means of control; or is a subsidiary, parent, or sibling corporation.
(3) "Facility" or "health care facility" means any public or private hospital, clinic, center, medical school, medical training institution, health care facility, physician’s office, infirmary, dispensary, ambulatory surgical treatment center, or other institution or location wherein health care is provided to any person.
(4) "Health care provider" means any person or individual who may be or is asked to participate in any way in any health care service. This includes but is not limited to doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, nurses’ aides, allied health professionals, medical assistants, hospital employees, clinic employees, nursing home employees, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and employees, medical school faculty and students, nursing school faculty and students, psychology and counseling faculty and students, medical researchers, laboratory technicians, counselors, social workers, or any other person who facilitates or participates in the provision of health care services to any person.
(5) "Public funds" means the funds of every political subdivision of the state wherein taxes are levied or fees are collected for any purpose and also refers to:
(a) The revenue or money of a government, state, or municipal corporation;
(b) The bonds, stocks, or other securities of a national or state government; and
(c) Government spending for acquisition of goods and services for current use to directly satisfy individual or collective needs of the members of the community.
[18-8702, added 2021, ch. 334, sec. 1, p. 1015.]