AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
PURE SEED LAW
22-435. State seed advisory board. (1) In order to maintain close contact between the department and the seed industry, there is hereby created a state seed laboratory advisory board which shall consist of nine (9) official members and nine (9) ex officio alternates appointed by the director of the department of agriculture from a list provided by the Idaho seed council. The Idaho seed council will nominate a member and an alternate for each vacancy on the advisory board to represent the following seed commodities:
(a) Cereal grains
(b) Grasses – turf
(c) Grasses – forage
(d) Small seeded legumes
(e) Corn and small seeded vegetables
(f) Garden beans
(g) Field beans
(h) Oil crops
The executive vice-president of the Idaho crop improvement association shall serve as a permanent tenth official member of the board. The president of the Idaho seed analysts association, or his representative, shall serve as a permanent eleventh official member of the board. Additionally, without the need for any nominations, the director shall appoint one (1) grower member who shall serve as the twelfth official member of the board and serve a three (3) year term.
(2) Existing member terms will end on the last May 31 of an existing term with the successor term to begin June 1 of the same year. All terms shall be for a period of three (3) years. A member and his alternate shall serve the same length of term. Vacancies in office shall be filled by an alternate for the unexpired term.
(3) Official members or an alternate present in the absence of his respective representative will have the right to vote. A member and his respective alternate are not to work for the same employer.
(4) Members or alternates of the board shall be compensated as provided in section 59-509(a), Idaho Code.
(5) The functions of the board shall be to advise and counsel with the department in the administration of the provisions of sections 22-414 through 22-436, Idaho Code.
(6) The board shall meet at the call of the chairman or the director of the Idaho department of agriculture or his designee. A majority of the members present at any meeting shall constitute a quorum, and a majority vote of the quorum at any meeting shall constitute an official act of the board.
(7) At the first meeting after June 1, in each year, the board shall select a chairman. The director of the Idaho department of agriculture and the manager of the Idaho state seed laboratory in the department of agriculture or their representatives, shall be ex officio members without the right to vote.
[22-435, added 1989, ch. 209, sec. 1, p. 513; am. 1995, ch. 32, sec. 1, p. 50; am. 2003, ch. 121, sec. 1, p. 369; am. 2009, ch. 38, sec. 1, p. 109.]