POULTRY ENVIRONMENTAL ACT
25-4012. AUTHORITY TO PROMULGATE RULES. (1) The legislature finds that poultry AFOs require adequate control through state regulatory mechanisms in order to prevent such operations from posing a threat to the state’s water resources. The Idaho state department of agriculture is in the best position to administer and implement rules to provide an adequate regulatory framework for poultry feeding operations.
(2) The director is authorized to modify the department’s administrative rules and to make new rules for permitting and regulating poultry AFOs. Such regulations may include, but are not limited to, the information required on a permit application and the conditions for the issuance and maintenance of a permit, as the director deems necessary.
(3) Nothing in this chapter prohibits the board of county commissioners of any county from adopting regulations that are more stringent than those adopted by the state.
(4) Nothing in this chapter shall affect the authority of the department of environmental quality to administer and enforce an Idaho national pollutant discharge elimination system (NPDES) program for poultry operations, including without limitation the authority to issue permits, access records, conduct inspections and take enforcement action, as set forth in chapter 1, title 39, Idaho Code, and the rules adopted pursuant thereto. The provisions of this chapter do not alter the requirements, liabilities and authorities with respect to or established by an Idaho NPDES program.
(5) The director of the department of environmental quality and the director of the Idaho state department of agriculture shall, as appropriate, establish an agreement relating to the administration of an Idaho NPDES program that recognizes the expertise of the Idaho state department of agriculture. The director shall have the authority to exercise any other authorities delegated by the director of the department of environmental quality regarding the protection of ground water, surface water and other natural resources associated with poultry operations, and this shall be the authority for the director of the department of environmental quality to so delegate.
(6) The director of the department of environmental quality shall consult with the director of the Idaho state department of agriculture before certifying discharges from poultry operations as provided under 33 U.S.C. 1341.
[25-4012, added 2011, ch. 227, sec. 1, p. 619; am. 2018, ch. 22, sec. 2, p. 35.]