33-2104A. community college trustee zones. (1) Each existing community college district shall be divided into five (5) trustee zones. Each trustee position on the board shall be designated to a zone so that each trustee zone contains one (1) designated trustee position.
(2) The boundaries of the several trustee zones in each existing community college district shall be drawn so that the five (5) zones are as nearly equal in population as practicable. If a community college district is situated within two (2) or more counties, and any one (1) of the counties has sufficient population to warrant at least one (1) zone, then the boundaries of a trustee zone shall be located wholly within the boundaries of such county.
(3) A proposal to redefine the boundaries of trustee zones of a community college district shall be initiated by its board of trustees at the first meeting following the report of the decennial census or following the electors’ approval of the addition of territory pursuant to section 33-2105, Idaho Code. The board of trustees shall submit the proposal to the state board of education within one hundred twenty (120) days following the decennial census or election. The proposal shall include a legal description of each proposed trustee zone, a map of the district showing how each proposed trustee zone would appear and the approximate population each zone would have should the proposal to change the boundaries of the trustee zones become effective.
(4) Within sixty (60) days after receipt of a proposal submitted pursuant to subsection (3) of this section, the state board of education may approve or disapprove the proposal to redefine the boundaries of the trustee zones and shall give written notice of its decision to the board of trustees of the district wherein the change is proposed. If the state board of education disapproves a proposal, then it shall provide the board of trustees with a written explanation setting forth its reasons for disapproval. Within forty-five (45) days of receipt of a disapproval, the board of trustees shall submit a revised proposal to the state board of education. If the state board of education approves the proposal, then it shall notify the board of trustees, the trustee zones shall be changed in accordance with the proposal and a copy of the legal description of each trustee zone and map of the district showing how each trustee zone will appear shall be filed by the board of trustees with the county clerk of the home county.
(5) At the next regular meeting of the board of trustees following the state board’s approval of a proposal submitted pursuant to subsection (4) of this section, the community college board of trustees shall appoint from its membership a trustee for each new zone to serve as trustee until that incumbent trustee’s term expires. If the current board membership includes two (2) or more incumbent trustees who reside in the same trustee zone, then the following applies:
(a) The position on the board held by the trustee with the greatest amount of time remaining in such trustee’s term shall be the position on the board designated to the zone wherein such trustee resides.
(b) If there is no difference in the amount of time remaining in the incumbents’ terms, then the position on the board held by the most senior trustee shall be designated to the zone wherein such trustee resides.
(c) If there is no difference in seniority among the incumbents, then a majority vote of the sitting board, excluding the incumbents subject to the vote, shall determine which incumbent trustee shall be designated to the zone wherein such trustees reside and the remaining trustee or trustees shall be designated to the position or positions on the board in the zone or zones wherein no incumbent trustee resides.
(6) Any incumbent trustee whose position on the board has been designated to a zone other than the zone in which such trustee resides may complete their term; however, when the position is next scheduled to be placed on the ballot, only persons residing in the zone to which the position has been designated shall be eligible to run for the position.
(7) Notwithstanding the time requirements set forth in this section, on or before July 1, 2016, the board of trustees of each community college district formed before the effective date of this act shall obtain a state board of education-approved proposal to divide the district into five (5) trustee zones. Trustee terms due for the 2016 election shall be subject to the zoning and board position requirements set forth in this section.
[33-2104A, added 2016, ch. 193, sec. 1, p. 538.]