PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS
33-5213. Public charter school commission. (1) There is hereby created an independent public charter school commission, referred to hereinafter as the commission, under the state board of education, pursuant to section 33-101, Idaho Code. The commission is hereby authorized to appoint a director who shall serve at the pleasure of the commission and shall receive such salary as fixed by the commission. It shall be the responsibility and duty of the director acting at the direction of the commission to administer and enforce the provisions of this chapter. The director shall hire such staff as may be necessary to assist in carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
(2) The public charter school commission shall adopt policies, subject to law, regarding the governance and administration of the commission and make recommendations to the state board of education regarding the oversight of public charter schools.
(3) The commission shall be composed of seven (7) members appointed by the governor, subject to the advice and consent of the senate. Commissioner appointments made pursuant to this section prior to July 1, 2021, shall remain valid through the duration of the term to which each commissioner was appointed.
(4) The term of office for commission members shall be four (4) years. In making such appointments, the governor shall consider regional balance without reference to party affiliation. Members appointed to the commission shall collectively possess strong experience and expertise in public and nonprofit governance, management and finance, public school leadership, assessment, curriculum and instruction, and public education law. All members of the commission shall have demonstrated understanding of and commitment to charter schools as a strategy for strengthening public education. Members of the commission shall hold office until the expiration of the term to which the member was appointed and until a successor has been duly appointed, unless sooner removed for cause by the governor. Whenever a vacancy occurs, the governor shall appoint a qualified person to fill the vacancy for the unexpired portion of the term.
(5) All members of the commission shall be citizens of the United States and residents of the state of Idaho for not less than two (2) years.
(6) The members of the commission shall, at their first regular meeting following the effective date of this act, and every two (2) years thereafter, elect, by a majority vote of the members of the commission, a chair and a vice chair. The chair shall preside at meetings of the commission, and the vice chair shall preside at such meetings in the absence of the chair. A majority of the members of the commission shall constitute a quorum. The commission shall meet at such times and places as determined to be necessary and convenient, or at the call of the chair.
(7) Each member of the commission not otherwise compensated by public moneys shall be compensated as provided in section 59-509(h), Idaho Code.
[33-5213, added 2004, ch. 371, sec. 12, p. 1112; am. 2012, ch. 188, sec. 9, p. 507; am. 2013, ch. 343, sec. 16, p. 926; am. 2014, ch. 29, sec. 1, p. 43; am. 2017, ch. 44, sec. 1, p. 65; am. 2017, ch. 267, sec. 1, p. 663; am. 2021, ch. 181, sec. 2, p. 501.]