VOTING BY MACHINE OR VOTE TALLY SYSTEM
34-2401. Definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Ballot" means any material used or the voting surface of a direct recording electronic system on which votes are cast for offices, candidates and measures.
(2) "Ballot card" means the tabulating card or cards of any size upon which the voter records his vote.
(3) "Ballot label" means the cards, papers, booklet or other material containing the names of offices and candidates and measures to be voted on.
(4) "Election" means all state, county, city, district and other political subdivision elections including bond issue elections.
(5) "Governing body" means the board of county commissioners of any county or the governing body of any city, district or other political subdivision elections including bond issue elections.
(6) "Measure" means a proposed law, act or part of an act of the legislative assembly or amendment to the constitution of the state of Idaho to be submitted to the people for their approval or rejection at an election. "Measure" also means other propositions which can be submitted to the voters at any election by counties, cities, districts or other political subdivisions.
(7) "Model" means a mechanically operated model of a portion of the face of the machine illustrating the means of voting.
(8) "Precinct" includes all election districts.
(9) "Voting machine" means:
(a) Any mechanical or electronic device which will record every vote cast by any voter on candidates and measures and which will either internally or externally total all votes cast on that device;
(b) Any device into which a ballot card may be inserted and which is so designed and constructed that the vote for any candidate or measure may be indicated by punching or marking the ballot card.
(10) "Vote tally system" means one (1) or more pieces of machinery or equipment necessary to examine and tally automatically paper ballots having marks placed thereon by a written mark or by a marking stamp. The examination shall be accomplished by either mark sensing or optical scanning.
[34-2401, added 1970, ch. 140, sec. 132, p. 351; am. 1974, ch. 3, sec. 1, p. 17; am. 2001, ch. 272, sec. 3, p. 994; am. 2003, ch. 48, sec. 14, p. 187.]