HEALTH AND SAFETY
HOSPITAL LICENSES AND INSPECTION
39-1354. Annexation of territory not having a tax supported hospital — Petitions and signatures — Election. (1) Any area contiguous to a hospital district which does not support another tax supported hospital may become annexed to the district by petition and election.
(2) A petition for annexation shall comply with the requirements of section 39-1320, Idaho Code, in the area seeking to become annexed to the hospital district. A true copy of the petition shall be transmitted to the board of trustees of the district, and to the board of county commissioners in each county affected. The board of trustees of the hospital district may approve or disapprove such petition, and shall give notice of its decision to the board of county commissioners in each county affected.
(3) When it has received notice of approval of the board of trustees of the district, the board of county commissioners in the county or counties in which the petition arose shall enter its order calling for an election on the question. The election shall be held in the area proposed to be annexed. Notice of the election shall be given, the election shall be conducted, and the returns thereof canvassed as provided in sections 39-1323, 39-1324 and 39-1325, Idaho Code. The ballot shall bear the question: "Shall …. become part of the …. hospital district …. Yes" and "Shall …. become part of the …. hospital district …. No" each followed by a box in which the voter may express his choice by marking a cross. The proposal shall be deemed approved only if the majority of the votes cast is in the affirmative.
(4) If the proposal has been approved at the election, the board of county commissioners in each county in which the district is located following annexation shall enter its order amending the boundaries of the district, and a copy shall be transmitted to the board of trustees of the hospital district. Annexation shall be effective as of the date of the last such order entered.
(5) Such other notices as may be required by law shall be filed by the board of trustees of the hospital district with the state tax commission within ten (10) days of the effective date of the change, including a legal description and map of the altered boundaries.
(6) Addition of new territory to an existing hospital district shall not be considered an initial establishment. The existing board of trustees shall continue to serve for the term for which elected. When a vacancy occurs, appointment shall be made as provided in section 39-1326, Idaho Code.
[39-1354, added 1993, ch. 137, sec. 3, p. 339.]