HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
REGIONAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY
40-2106. Authority board. (1) Each authority shall have a governing board appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the governing bodies of counties, incorporated cities and highway districts located wholly or partially within the authority.
(2) The board initially shall be composed of not less than five (5) members selected as follows: two (2) members representing each board of county commissioners; one (1) member representing highway district commissions wholly or partially contained within the region; two (2) members representing each city with a population of twenty-five thousand (25,000) or more; and one (1) member representing each city with a population of less than twenty-five thousand (25,000). Board composition subsequently may be modified pursuant to subsection (7) of this section.
(3) Board members shall be appointed by resolution of the appointing agency and shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing agency. Board members may be elected officials of the appointing agency or they may be representatives empowered by the agency to act in its best interests. The highway district board member shall be appointed by the board of commissioners of the highway district in counties with a single county-wide highway district or, in counties with more than one (1) highway district, by the board of county commissioners in consultation with all highway district commissions wholly or partially contained within the region.
(4) Ex officio members may be appointed to the authority board by any city or commission or by the board itself and shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing entity.
(5) Board members may be compensated forty dollars ($40.00) for each day in the actual performance of duties, but the total amount to be received as compensation shall not exceed the sum of one thousand dollars ($1,000) per year. Actual expenses shall be paid in addition to compensation. The payment for expenses shall be paid from funds of the authority upon presentation of itemized vouchers, signed by the board member and under oath made to the secretary of the authority.
(6) The authority shall be liable and responsible for the actions of the board members and employees of the authority when the board members and employees are performing their duties on behalf of the authority.
(7) Composition of the board may be modified from time to time by the board, provided that:
(a) The board adopts by majority vote at a regularly scheduled meeting a statement of intent to revise the board composition and a complete description of the proposed revision; and
(b) The board submits the statement of intent and proposed revision to the chief elected official of each city and commission within the authority for review and comment; and
(c) Each city or commission is provided a minimum of sixty (60) days in which to comment; and
(d) The board adopts a resolution revising the board composition by the affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of all board members at a regularly scheduled meeting.
[40-2106, added 1994, ch. 327, sec. 1, p. 1054; am. 1996, ch. 353, sec. 4, p. 1179.]