HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
COUNTY COMMISSIONERS AND HIGHWAY OFFICERS
40-619. Duties and powers of county director of highways. The county director of highways shall:
(1) Prepare and submit each year for the approval of the commissioners a tentative highway budget covering all proposed expenditures for the ensuing year.
(2) Divide the county into a suitable and convenient number of highway divisions, which shall exist only for the purpose of facilitating highway construction and maintenance activities. The geographical boundaries and arrangements of the divisions may, with the approval of the commissioners, be altered at any time at the discretion of the director of highways.
(3) Employ assistants and employees as may be necessary for county highway purposes, subject to the approval of the commissioners as to salaries or other compensation to be paid.
(4) Purchase or lease equipment necessary for county highway purposes and sell or replace obsolete equipment, subject to the approval of the commissioners as to the price, rental or cost of replacement.
(5) Cause to be erected and maintained on county highways, whenever necessary for public safety and convenience, suitable signs, markers, signals and other devices to control, guide and warn pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
(6) Cause surveys, maps, plans, specifications and estimates to be made for the construction, reconstruction and maintenance of county highways.
(7) Forbid, restrict or limit the erection of unauthorized signs, billboards or structures on the right-of-way of any county highway, and remove and destroy any unauthorized signs.
(8) Perform other acts as may be authorized by the commissioners for the improvement and maintenance of county highways.
[40-619, added 1985, ch. 253, sec. 2, p. 620.]