41-1038. Definitions. As used in sections 41-1037 through 41-1045, Idaho Code:
(1) "Bail" means a monetary amount required by the court to release the defendant from custody and to ensure his appearance in court as ordered.
(2) "Bail agent" means a person who is a licensed producer in the line of surety insurance that is authorized by an insurer to execute or countersign undertakings of bail in connection with judicial proceedings.
(3) "Bail bond" means a financial guarantee, posted by a bail agent and underwritten by a surety insurance company, that the defendant will appear as ordered.
(4) "Collateral" means property of any kind given as security to obtain a bail bond.
(5) "Department" means the department of insurance.
(6) "Director" means the director of the department of insurance.
(7) "Person" means an individual or a business entity.
(8) "Retail consumers of bail bonds" means a defendant and any person who provides collateral to obtain any portion of a bail bond.
(9) "Surety" or "surety insurance company" means an admitted insurer authorized in the line of surety pursuant to title 41, Idaho Code.
[41-1038, added 2003, ch. 104, sec. 2, p. 329; am. 2010, ch. 86, sec. 2, p. 165.]