ACQUISITIONS OF CONTROL AND INSURANCE HOLDING COMPANY SYSTEMS
41-3802. definitions. As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Affiliate" of, or a person "affiliated" with, a specific person, means a person who directly or indirectly through one (1) or more intermediaries controls or is controlled by, or is under common control with, the person specified.
(2) "Control," including "controlling," "controlled by" and "under common control with," means the possession, direct or indirect, of the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of a person, whether through the ownership of voting securities, by contract other than a commercial contract for goods or nonmanagement services, or otherwise, unless the power is the result of an official position with or a corporate office held by the person. Control shall be presumed to exist if any person, directly or indirectly, owns, controls, holds with the power to vote or holds proxies representing ten percent (10%) or more of the voting securities of any other person. This presumption may be rebutted by a showing made in the manner provided in section 41-3809(11), Idaho Code, that control does not exist in fact. The director may determine, after furnishing all persons in interest notice and opportunity to be heard and making specific findings of fact to support the determination, that control exists in fact, notwithstanding the absence of a presumption to that effect.
(3) "Enterprise risk" means any activity, circumstance, event or series of events involving one (1) or more affiliates of an insurer that, if not remedied promptly, is likely to have a material adverse effect upon the financial condition or liquidity of the insurer or its insurance holding company system as a whole including, but not limited to, anything that would cause the insurer’s risk-based capital to fall into company action level as set forth in section 41-5403, Idaho Code, or would cause the insurer to be in hazardous financial condition as set forth by rule in IDAPA 18.01.66.
(4) "Group-wide supervisor" means the regulatory official authorized to engage in conducting and coordinating group-wide supervision activities who is determined or acknowledged by the director under section 41-3815A, Idaho Code, to have sufficient significant contacts with the internationally active insurance group.
(5) "Insurance holding company system" means two (2) or more affiliated persons, one (1) or more of whom is an insurer.
(6) "Insurer" has the same meaning as that set forth in section 41-103, Idaho Code, except that it shall not include agencies, authorities or instrumentalities of the United States, its possessions and territories, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia or a state or political subdivision of a state.
(7) "Internationally active insurance group" means an insurance holding company system that:
(a) Includes an insurer registered under section 41-3809, Idaho Code; and
(b) Meets the following criteria:
(i) Premiums written in at least three (3) countries;
(ii) The percentage of gross premiums written outside the United States is at least ten percent (10%) of the insurance holding company system’s total gross written premiums; and
(iii) Based on a three (3) year rolling average, the total assets of the insurance holding company system are at least fifty billion dollars ($50,000,000,000) or the total gross written premiums of the insurance holding company system are at least ten billion dollars ($10,000,000,000).
(8) "Person" means an individual, a corporation, a limited liability company, a partnership, an association, a joint stock company, a business trust, an unincorporated organization, or any similar entity or any combination of the foregoing acting in concert, but shall not include any joint venture partnership exclusively engaged in owning, managing, leasing or developing real or tangible personal property.
(9) "Security holder" means a person who owns any security of a specified person, including common stock, preferred stock, debt obligations and any other security convertible into or evidencing the right to acquire any of the foregoing.
(10) "Subsidiary" means a specified person who is an affiliate controlled by such person directly or indirectly through one (1) or more intermediaries.
(11) "Voting security" means any security convertible into or evidencing a right to acquire a voting security.
[41-3802, added 2013, ch. 266, sec. 2, p. 652; am. 2019, ch. 81, sec. 1, p. 188.]