IRRIGATION AND DRAINAGE — WATER RIGHTS AND RECLAMATION
ADJUDICATION OF WATER RIGHTS
42-1407. General adjudication — Venue — Notice of filing — Commencement order. (1) A general adjudication shall be brought in any district court in which any part of the water system within the state of Idaho is located. The clerk of the district court in which the petition is filed shall send to the supreme court a true and certified copy of the petition. The supreme court, by order, shall assign the judge to preside over the general adjudication. Venue of the general adjudication shall be determined by order or rule of the supreme court and venue of hearings under the general adjudication shall be determined by order of the presiding judge.
(2) The director shall prepare, in plain and concise language, and publish a notice of filing of a petition for entry of an order commencing a general adjudication for three (3) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation published in each county in which any part of the water system proposed to be adjudicated is located. If there is no newspaper published within a county, then the notice shall be published in a newspaper having general circulation in that county. The date set for hearing on the petition shall not be less than twenty (20) days after the last date of publication. The director shall serve the notice of filing a petition on the United States and on the state of Idaho. The director shall file affidavit(s) of service of the notice of filing with the district court upon completion of service.
(3) The notice of filing shall contain:
(a) a description of the boundaries of the water system proposed for the general adjudication;
(b) a statement of the date, place, and time of hearing before the district court;
(c) a concise statement of the matters proposed to be considered before the district court; and
(d) a statement that the district court will hear evidence and legal argument from any person in response to any matter raised by the petition.
(4) With respect to a general adjudication commenced pursuant to section 42-1405, Idaho Code, if the district court determines that the public interest and necessity will be served by a general adjudication, the district court shall enter an order that includes the following:
(a) a provision that commences the general adjudication;
(b) a description of the boundaries of the water system for which a general adjudication is commenced;
(c) a list of counties where the water system to be adjudicated and administered is located and a designation of whether all or only a portion of the county is included within the boundaries of the general adjudication;
(d) a provision that requires all claimants to file a notice of claim or negotiated agreement for all water rights from the water system, except that the court may exclude those types of water rights designated in paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of section 42-1420, Idaho Code;
(e) a determination of the method of service for claimants not disclosed following completion of the service required by paragraphs (a) through (d) of subsection (2) of section 42-1408, Idaho Code; and
(f) a statement that the files of the district court will contain affidavits of service and other documents stating the persons served with a copy of the notice of order commencing the general adjudication.
(5) Upon entry of a commencement order, the general adjudication shall proceed in accordance with this chapter.
(6) Promptly upon entry of the commencement order, the clerk of the district court shall send a certified copy of the order to the director, and shall serve notice of entry of the order on all persons appearing before the court in accordance with the Idaho rules of civil procedure.
[(42-1407) 1986, ch. 220, sec. 9, p. 566; am. and redesig. 1994, ch. 454, sec. 13, p. 1454.]