MINES AND MINING
MINED LAND RECLAMATION
47-1509. Procedures in reclamation. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this act, every operator who conducts exploration or mining operations that disturb two (2) or more acres within the state of Idaho shall perform the following reclamation activities:
(1) Ridges of overburden shall be leveled in such manner as to have a minimum width of ten (10) feet at the top.
(2) Peaks of overburden shall be leveled in such a manner as to have a minimum width of fifteen (15) feet at the top.
(3) Overburden piles shall be reasonably prepared to control erosion.
(4) Manage water as necessary to meet the requirements authorized under chapter 1, title 39, Idaho Code.
(5) Roads that are abandoned shall be cross-ditched insofar as necessary to avoid erosion gullies.
(6) Exploration drill holes shall be plugged or otherwise left so as to eliminate hazards to humans or animals.
(7) Abandoned affected lands shall be topped to the extent that such overburden is reasonably available from the pit, with that type of overburden conducive to the control of erosion or the growth of the vegetation that the operator elects to plant thereon.
(8) The operator shall conduct revegetation activities on the mined areas, overburden piles, and abandoned roads in accordance with the provisions of this act.
(9) Tailings ponds shall be reasonably prepared in such a condition that they will not constitute a hazard to human or animal life.
(10) Complete all other reclamation required in the approved reclamation plan.
(b) The board may request, in writing, that a given road or portion thereof not be cross-ditched or revegetated and, upon such request, the operator shall be excused from performing such activities as to such road or portion thereof.
(c) Every operator who conducts exploration or mining operations that disturb less than two (2) acres within the state of Idaho shall, wherever possible, contour the lands so disturbed to approximate the previous contour of the lands.
(d) The operator and board may agree, in writing, to do any act with respect to reclamation above and beyond the requirements herein set forth.
[47-1509, added 1971, ch. 206, sec. 9, p. 898; am. 1973, ch. 180, sec. 4, p. 415; am. 2016, ch. 22, sec. 1, p. 28; am. 2019, ch. 226, sec. 9, p. 701.]