MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
49-406A. Idaho classic — Special license plate program — Registration and standard license plates. (1) Any motor vehicle or motorcycle which is at least thirty (30) years old that does not qualify as an "Idaho Old Timer" and that is maintained to its original likeness using original-type parts and materials, without major modifications shall be known as an "Idaho Classic." Any motor vehicle which is altered from its original design is not an "Idaho Classic" as herein defined.
(2) Any motor vehicle or motorcycle which qualifies as an "Idaho Classic" shall be used for exhibits, parades, tours, club activities and such occasional use as is necessary for operation and maintenance of the vehicle, and shall not be used for business or commercial purposes or as customary and usual transportation.
(3) Applicants for a special "Idaho Classic" license plate shall pay an initial program fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) and the license plate fee required in section 49-450, Idaho Code, for each Idaho classic plate which shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. The initial program fee shall be deposited in the state highway account, and the plate manufacturing fee shall be deposited in the plate manufacturing account.
(4) Once every three (3) years, on a schedule set by the department, an ownership verification form shall be mailed to each plate holder on file with the department. The owner shall provide such information as is requested by the department to verify ownership of the vehicle(s) and that the special plate(s) is still in use by the owner. A fee of three dollars ($3.00) shall be charged by the department for each vehicle. This fee shall be deposited in the state highway account to defray costs of the license plate program. If the owner no longer has an interest in a vehicle(s) the owner may retain the plate as specified in subsection (7) of this section. If the ownership verification form is not returned by the date specified by the department, the registration record will be purged from the files of the department. Any use of the plate(s) is lost to the owner and the plate number becomes available for issue to another applicant.
The reissue of license plates as specified in section 49-443(2), Idaho Code, shall not be required unless there is a general consensus among the majority of plate holders that a new plate design is needed. Representatives of the plate holders shall make the request known to the department. The cost of manufacturing a new design will be set by the department based upon the cost of manufacturing supplies and administering the reissue. The equivalent cost of each plate will be charged to each plate holder who purchases the new plate. If a new plate design is authorized, the design and color shall be approved by representatives of the interest group. The design, color and numbering scheme shall also be subject to the approval of the department. The existing plate design will be canceled and all plate holders, present and future shall purchase and display the new plate.
(5) An applicant for the special "Idaho Classic" plate shall execute an affidavit on a form provided by the department that the vehicle or motorcycle qualifies as an "Idaho Classic" and shall only be used for the purposes allowed.
The department shall have the authority to refuse to issue the plate and may demand the return of such plate if the applicant has failed to comply with the provisions of this section.
(6) If an "Idaho Classic" is to be used as customary and usual transportation, or for business or commercial purposes, the owner shall register the vehicle under the provisions of section 49-402, or section 49-434, Idaho Code, as applicable, and shall obtain and display the standard issue of license plates after payment of the plate fee required in section 49-450, Idaho Code. It shall be permissible to display both the standard issue of plates and the "Idaho Classic" plate.
(7) Whenever title or interest in an Idaho classic motor vehicle or motorcycle is transferred or assigned, the transferor may retain the special plate for use on another vehicle which qualifies by providing the information required in subsection (5) of this section and by paying the required transfer fee. If the vehicle is also registered under the provisions of section 49-402 or section 49-434, Idaho Code, the provisions of section 49-431, Idaho Code, relating to the procedure for assignment and transfer of interest, shall apply.
[49-406A, added 1993, ch. 99, sec. 5, p. 251; am. 1994, ch. 313, sec. 2, p. 997; am. 1995, ch. 109, sec. 2, p. 344; am. 1997, ch. 129, sec. 4, p. 387.]