PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
IDAHO REAL ESTATE LICENSE LAW
54-2083. Definitions. As used in sections 54-2082 through 54-2097, Idaho Code:
(1) "Adverse material fact" means a fact that would significantly affect the desirability or value of the property to a reasonable person or which establishes a reasonable belief that a party to the transaction is not able to or does not intend to complete that party’s obligations under a real estate contract.
(2) "Agency representation" or "representation" means the statutory agency relationship between a client and a brokerage in a regulated real estate transaction with respect to which the duties defined in section 54-2087, Idaho Code, are applicable. See also "representation."
(3) "Assigned agent" means, where a brokerage is representing more than one (1) party to the transaction as a limited dual agent as provided in section 54-2088, Idaho Code, the sales associate assigned by the brokerage to act on behalf of one (1) client and to represent solely that client consistent with the applicable duties set forth in section 54-2087, Idaho Code. The designated broker shall not act as an assigned agent of the brokerage.
(4) "Brokerage" means a licensed designated broker, the licensed real estate business represented by that broker and its associated licensees.
(5) "Client" means a buyer or seller, or a prospective buyer or seller, or both who have entered into an express written contract or agreement with a brokerage for agency representation in a regulated real estate transaction.
(6) "Confidential client information" means information gained from or about a client that:
(a) Is not a matter of public record;
(b) The client has not disclosed or authorized to be disclosed to third parties;
(c) If disclosed, would be detrimental to the client; and
(d) The client would not be personally obligated to disclose to another party to the transaction. Information which is required to be disclosed by statute or rule or where the failure to disclose would constitute fraudulent misrepresentation is not confidential client information within the provisions of sections 54-2082 through 54-2097, Idaho Code. Information generally disseminated in the marketplace is not confidential client information within the provisions of such sections. A "sold" price of real property is also not confidential client information within the provisions of such sections.
(7) "Customer" means a buyer or seller, or prospective buyer or seller, who is not represented in an agency relationship in a regulated real estate transaction.
(8) "Customer services agreement" or "compensation agreement" means an agreement between a real estate brokerage and a customer for the provision of any real estate services for which the brokerage has the right to be compensated by the customer.
(9) "Designated broker" means an individual who is licensed as a real estate broker in Idaho and who is designated by the brokerage company to be responsible for the supervision of the brokerage company and the activities of any associated licensees in accordance with this chapter.
(10) "Idaho real estate license law and rules" means chapter 20, title 54, Idaho Code, and all administrative rules promulgated thereunder.
(11) "Limited dual agent" means a brokerage that is representing both a buyer and a seller as clients in a regulated real estate transaction, as provided in section 54-2088, Idaho Code.
(12) "Ministerial acts" means reasonably necessary and customary acts typically performed by real estate licensees in assisting a transaction to its closing or conclusion.
(13) "Nonagent" means a brokerage and its licensees working with or assisting a buyer or seller as a customer to which the duties provided in section 54-2086, Idaho Code, are applicable.
(14) "Regulated real estate transaction" means those real estate transactions for which a real estate license is required under chapter 20, title 54, Idaho Code.
(15) "Representation" or "brokerage representation" or "represented" means the statutory agency relationship between a client and a brokerage in a regulated real estate transaction with respect to which the duties provided in section 54-2087, Idaho Code, are applicable.
(16) "Representation agreement" or "contract for representation" means a written agreement between a buyer, seller, or both, and a real estate brokerage for agency representation in a regulated real estate transaction. A representation agreement under this chapter can only be made in writing, and cannot be made orally or by assumption or implication.
(17) "Sales associate" means a salesperson or an associate broker licensed under and associated with a designated broker.
[(54-2083) 54-2061, added 1996, ch. 250, sec. 1, p. 786; am. and redesig. 2000, ch. 285, sec. 5, p. 952; am. 2004, ch. 119, sec. 1, p. 396; am. 2007, ch. 150, sec. 1, p. 456; am. 2008, ch. 298, sec. 1, p. 834.]