PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
54-5503. board of midwifery created. (1) There is hereby established in the division of occupational and professional licenses a board of midwifery.
(2) The board shall consist of five (5) members appointed by the governor, three (3) of whom shall be licensed pursuant to this chapter, one (1) of whom shall be a licensed physician who is board-certified in either obstetrics/gynecology or family medicine, maintains current hospital privileges and has provided primary maternity care for at least twenty (20) births in the twelve (12) months prior to the appointment, and one (1) of whom shall be a member of the public with an interest in the rights of consumers of midwifery services.
(3) The term of office for each board member shall be five (5) years.
(4) In making appointments to the board, the governor’s selection shall not be limited to nominations he receives; however, consideration shall be given to recommendations made by the Idaho midwifery council and Idahoans for midwives.
(5) The three (3) board members who are licensed midwives shall be licensed pursuant to this chapter, shall actively practice midwifery in the state of Idaho for the duration of their appointment and shall have been a practicing midwife in the state of Idaho for at least three (3) years immediately preceding their appointment.
(6) In the event of the death, resignation or removal of any board member before the expiration of the term to which he is appointed, the vacancy shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term in the same manner as the original appointment.
(7) Board members shall serve at the pleasure of the governor.
(8) The board shall meet at least annually and elect a chairperson, and may hold additional meetings at the call of the chairperson or at the written request of any two (2) members of the board. A majority of the board shall constitute a quorum. The vote of a majority of members present at a meeting wherein a quorum is present shall determine the action of the board.
[(54-5503) 54-5403, added 2009, ch. 65, sec. 1, p. 178; am. and redesig. 2010, ch. 79, sec. 23, p. 148; am. 2019, ch. 42, sec. 1, p. 110; am. 2021, ch. 222, sec. 40, p. 652.]