STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
STATE PLANNING AND COORDINATION
67-1903. Strategic planning. (1) Each state agency shall develop and submit to the division of financial management in an electronic format a comprehensive strategic plan for the major divisions and core functions of that agency. The plan shall be based upon the agency’s statutory authority and, at a minimum, shall contain:
(a) A comprehensive outcome-based vision or mission statement covering major divisions and core functions of the agency;
(b) Goals for the major divisions and core functions of the agency;
(c) Objectives and/or tasks that indicate how the goals are to be achieved;
(d) Performance measures, developed in accordance with section 67-1904, Idaho Code, that assess the progress of the agency in meeting its goals in the strategic plan, along with an indication of how the performance measures are related to the goals in the strategic plan;
(e) Benchmarks or performance targets for each performance measure for, at a minimum, the next fiscal year, along with an explanation of the manner in which the benchmark or target level was established; and
(f) An identification of those key factors external to the agency and beyond its control that could significantly affect the achievement of the strategic plan goals and objectives.
(2) The strategic plan shall cover a period of not less than four (4) years forward including the fiscal year in which it is submitted, and shall be updated annually.
(3) The strategic plan shall serve as the foundation for developing the annual performance information required by section 67-1904, Idaho Code.
(4) When developing a strategic plan, an agency shall consult with the appropriate members of the legislature, and shall solicit and consider the views and suggestions of those persons and entities potentially affected by the plan. Consultation with legislators may occur when meeting the requirement of section 67-1904(7), Idaho Code.
(5) Strategic plans are public records and are available to the public as provided in section 74-102, Idaho Code.
(6) Each agency, department and commission shall seek to minimize the number of printed copies of strategic plans and annual reports by using electronic versions whenever possible, and by printing only a limited number sufficient for internal needs or anticipated requests for copies for which electronic versions are otherwise inadequate.
[67-1903, added 2005, ch. 339, sec. 4, p. 1058; am. 2012, ch. 205, sec. 1, p. 545; am. 2015, ch. 141, sec. 167, p. 512.]