TRANSPARENT AND ETHICAL GOVERNMENT
PUBLIC RECORDS ACT
74-120. Prohibition on distribution or sale of mailing or telephone number lists — Penalty. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), and (9) of this section, in order to protect the privacy of those who deal with public agencies:
(a) No agency may distribute or sell for use as a mailing list or a telephone number list any list of persons without first securing the permission of those on the list; and
(b) No list of persons prepared by the agency may be used as a mailing list or a telephone number list except by the agency or another agency without first securing the permission of those on the list.
(2) Except as may be otherwise provided in this chapter, this section does not prevent an individual from compiling a mailing list or a telephone number list by examination or copying of public records, original documents or applications otherwise open to public inspection.
(3) The provisions of this section do not apply to the lists of registered electors compiled pursuant to title 34, Idaho Code, or to lists of the names of employees governed by chapter 53, title 67, Idaho Code.
(4) The provisions of this section shall not apply to agencies that issue occupational or professional licenses.
(5) This section does not apply to the right of access by Idaho law enforcement agencies or, by purchase or otherwise, the right to access public records dealing with motor vehicle registration.
(6) This section does not apply to a corporate information list developed by the office of the secretary of state containing the name, address, registered agent, officers and directors of corporations authorized to do business in this state or to a business information list developed by the department of commerce containing the name, address, telephone number or other relevant information of Idaho businesses or individuals requesting information regarding the state of Idaho or to business lists developed by the department of agriculture, market development division, used to promote food and agricultural products produced in Idaho.
(7) This section does not apply to lists used for ordinary utility purposes that are requested by a person who supplies utility services in this state. Ordinary utility purposes, as used in this chapter only, do not include marketing or marketing research.
(8) This section does not apply to lists used to give notice required by any statute, ordinance, rule, or law or by any governing agency.
(9) This section does not apply to student directory information provided by colleges, universities, secondary schools and school districts to military recruiters for military recruiting purposes pursuant to the requirements of federal laws.
(10) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the release of information to the state controller as the state social security administrator as provided in section 59-1101A, Idaho Code.
(11) If a court finds that a person or public official has deliberately and in bad faith violated the provisions of subsection (1)(a) or (1)(b) of this section, the person or public official shall be liable for a civil penalty assessed by the court in an amount not in excess of one thousand dollars ($1,000), which shall be paid into the general fund.
[74-120, added 2015, ch. 140, sec. 5, p. 364; am. 2022, ch. 111, sec. 35, p. 395; am. 2022, ch. 306, sec. 12, p. 990.]