PROPERTY IN GENERAL
SELF-SERVICE STORAGE FACILITIES
55-2301. Definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Default" means the failure by the lessee to perform, on time, any obligation or duty set forth in the rental agreement or the provisions of this chapter.
(2) "Last known address" means that address provided by the lessee in the rental agreement or the address provided by the lessee to the operator in a subsequent written notice of a change of address.
(3) "Leased space" means the individual storage space at the self-service storage facility that is or may be rented to a lessee pursuant to a rental agreement. The leased space may be enclosed, covered, or open storage.
(4) "Lessee" means a person, sublessee, successor, or assignee entitled to the use of a leased space at a self-service storage facility under the terms of a rental agreement.
(5) "Operator" means the owner, operator, lessor, or sublessor of a self-service storage facility or an agent or another person authorized to manage the facility or to receive rent from a lessee under a rental agreement. The term does not include a warehouse operator if the warehouse operator issues a warehouse receipt, bill of lading, or other document of title for the personal property stored.
(6) "Personal property" means those items placed within the leased space and includes, but is not limited to, goods, wares, merchandise, motor vehicles, watercraft and household items and furnishings.
(7) "Rental agreement" means a signed, written agreement or contract that establishes or modifies conditions or rules concerning the use and occupancy by a lessee of leased space at a self-service storage facility and includes any signed, written amendment to such an agreement.
(8) "Self-service storage facility" means any real property used for renting or leasing individual storage space in which the lessees themselves store and remove their own personal property on a "self-service" basis.
(9) "Vehicle" is as defined in section 49-123, Idaho Code, and "trailer" is as defined in section 49-121, Idaho Code. Should the operator choose to proceed with a lien sale of a vehicle, the operator must comply with the provisions of chapter 17, title 49, Idaho Code.
[55-2301, added 1990, ch. 381, sec. 1, p. 1055; am. 2020, ch. 144, sec. 1, p. 443.]